Welcome!

Welcome to Grandma Guru's!

Let's connect!


Saturday, April 16, 2011

Four more ideas for Skyping with Preschoolers

Thought I'd share a few more ideas for Skyping with the younger crowd.
  1. Play a game.  The other day while Skyping with Dee, he wanted to play "The Fishing Game".  He had a little game where the fish moved up and down and his task was to catch them with a little fishing rod.  His was a travel version of the game but he wanted to play with me.  At first I couldn't figure out how to do this, but then remembered that I also have a fishing game.  It is Trevor's favorite game when he comes to visit.  Mine was a full size one but that didn't seem to make a difference.  We set our cameras to show the fishing game and then we both started fishing.  It was so much fun!!  This kind of games is more fun if you can just relax and not worry about keeping score, but celebrate each other's catches.   Then Dee wanted to play Candyland.  I didn't have this game and we talked for a few minutes, finally deciding that I would fish on my side and call out the colors and he would move both of us on his board.  This worked well, although I didn't have any purple fish so had to occasionally just call out PURPLE!  We laughed and had a good time.
  2. Play "Guess what I am holding".  This is pretty self explanatory, but I generally start by picking something "fun" at my house.  Usually something I can hold in my hand in front of the camera.  I'll ask Dee, what do you think I have in my hand?  He will guess, then I will give him clues until he gets it.  Then he will find something on his side and ask me to guess what he is holding. 
  3. Play "Do you know what this is?"  This is a favorite of Ella, who is 2.  She loves to identify letters she knows.  I will pick up a letter from a game, like Scarbble or UpWords and she will tell what the letter is.  This can also be done with colors and shapes.
  4. Sing a song together.  It is helpful if you know some of the songs the Grandkids are learning in preschool or nursery, but if you don't ask them to teach you one or ask one of their parents to help out.  
Happy Skyping!!

1 comment:

  1. One of the things I do with Branden (21 months old) is to sing actions songs with him. One our our favorites is "Itsy bitsy spider". He also likes me to sing "Jesus Wants Me For A Sunbeam". He likes to jump up when I sing Sunbeam and he listens intently for the word. They sing this in his nursery.

    We also do "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes".

    I love Skype.

    ReplyDelete